Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Who you gonna call?

So "Ghostbusters" was the midnight movie last weekend, and despite getting properly riled up about it two weeks in advance, I didn't really seriously contemplate making a costume until the day of. I KNOW, RIGHT? How could I be so remiss? Dressing up is what I do.


Actually it went down like this:

Me: (around 1pm)Um, if I make Ghostbusters costumes, will you wear one?
Meg: Wow, that's a real friend commitment. Will they be cute?
Me: Of course! Although I might not have enough time to make them....



Around 3 or 4pm I decided after a few minutes of web research I should get on this. Also, I wrote about the plan to dress up on my Facebook, and now HAD to deliver. I gave myself about 30 minutes to get to Joann's and back with a rough pattern, fabric, thread, and zippers. Meg opted for Venkman, I settled on Spengler.


5:15pm
I went about cutting out the pattern which was a piece of shit. It may have been the worse pattern I've ever seen. If you're wondering how a S-XL men OR women's costume can be finessed out of one pattern that answer is that it cannot.


This is not, by the way, the right way to cut out a pattern. Patterns should be cut flat on a hard, smooth surface but since I was free handing adjustments to the pattern as I cut this is how I did it. I also don't have a cutting table at my house. I also realized I didn't quite have enough fabric, but I just fudged some of the other pieces instead of making the jumpsuits into shorts. Because it's weird enough having to explain why you're dressed like a Ghostbuster without explaining why you're dressed like a SEXY Ghostbuster.






6:00pm-9:00pm
It took roughly 1 and 1/2 hours for each jumpsuit including the zippers, collars, and ironing. I made Jeff put together the ghost logo and name tag patches in AI, but I ended up have to tweak them and battle with the printer so it only saved me about 10 minutes.9:45pm
Patches are on. Judicious use of fabric glue for hems and facings applied. All done!

The final result:

Oh wait, I mean the real final result:
Meg's got the nice, non-camera phone pics so you'll just have to be patient, yucca plants.

1 comment:

M said...

I think I just left a comment on some random part of your blog, but the point is that I will be using the Ghostbusters costume in the future. See, this message is much less interesting...