Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The fake Chinese Wedding bed

This was by far the most epic undertaking. I wanted one of these:

But they are very, very expensive. Like $10,000 expensive.

So, I got at $199 dressing screen:
Then I unscrewed all the four panels and sawed two of them in half. Meanwhile, I bought the cheapest, plainest bedframe in the world for $70 and painted that with a cherry-colored wood varnish to match the screens. After that I had to nail, screw, and glue the panels into place. I also got some cheapie wood trim at Home Depot for the cross beams and varnished those as well.

Added some curtains from World Market for $36.

Total cost: $300 which is, oh, about $9,700 less than $10,000.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is amazing!!!

Unknown said...

I think you are so creative!! I want a Chinese wedding bed too but our ceilings are too low at our beach house.